What is the liver?
The liver is the largest glandular organ of the body. It weighs about 3 lb (1.36 kg).
The liver lies on the right side of the abdominal cavity beneath the diaphragm.A healthy liver is the key to achieving a healthy life. So it is impotent that you maintain the good health of your liver at all times.
It serves as
- Body’s engine – feeds the body with energy.
- Pantry – storing iron, copper, vit. A & D and several B vitamins.
- Refinery – filtering blood of toxins, breaking down & recycle red blood cells.
- Food processor – producing bile, urea, cholesterol.
- Garbage disposal – disposing of toxic materials.
- Trouble shooter – regulates sex hormones, cholesterol levels, mineral supplies and wardoff viruses and infections.
- Guardian angel – protects your body every day with clock work precision.
Causes of liver disease
- Congenital birth defects or abnormalities of the liver present at birth.
- Metabolic disorders, like diabetes & obesity
- Viral infections
- Certain medications that are toxic to the Liver
- Trauma or injury
How to Get Help ?
Treatment of liver diseases involves immediate medical care aimed at slowing the progression of the disease, minimizing the symptoms and reducing further complications. At the Nawaloka Liver Centre, we provide :
- Liver function tests and liver biopsy.
- Screening for Liver Disease.
- Diagnosis of Chromic liver disease.
- Treatment of liver Disease including liver cancer
- Liver transplantation
- Health education related to liver illness.
The nucleus of our team of experienced/multidisciplinary professionals is formed by.
- Gastroenterological Surgeons
- Transplant surgeons
- Interventional Radiologists
- Health educators
With the increasing incidence of Liver disease there is a pressing need for special centre of this nature. The good news is that Nawaloka hospital has felt this need and opened the Nawaloka Liver Centre and now you can expect world class treatment at this centre from our team of experienced multidisciplinary professionals.
What is FibroScan ?
Examination with FibroScan®, also called transient elastography, is a technique used to assess liver stiffness without invasive investigation. The result is immediate, it shows the condition of the liver and allows physicians to diagnose and monitor disease evolution in conjunction with treatment and collateral factors. Exam results help to anticipate various complications, as well as to monitor and assess the damage caused by conditions such as cirrhosis.
Results obtained with FibroScan® will allow your physician to monitor your liver health over time with or without treatment.
What difference does FibroScan make for me ?
FibroScanR provides immediate results, it’s easy and fast (5-10 minutes).The exam is painless and non-invasive.In case of close follow-up, the examination can be safely repeated.