Nawaloka Hospital uses the latest technology in bone density scanning DEXA (Dual Energy X-ray Absorptiometry). Examination requires care and technical expertise; our staff are highly trained to ensure accurate readings.
The Clinical Osteoporosis Service offers a comprehensive range of screening and consultation. It holds clinics where patients have their bone density measured and examined by the Consultant Metabolic Physician for a full assessment and treatment plan.
WHAT IS A DEXA SCAN?
(DUAL-ENERGY XRAY ABSORPTIOMETRY)
DexaScan is a special type of X-ray that measures bone density, which is most commonly used to diagnose Osteoporosis
WHAT IS OSTEOPOROSIS?
it is the loss of quality and strength of bones which predisposes an individual to the risk of fractures.The scan is quick and painless bone-scan and is more effective than a normal X-ray it also uses a much lower level of radiation than a standard X-ray
WHAT ARE THE USES OF A DEXA SCAN?
DEXA scans are used primarily to evaluate bone mineral density. DEXA scans can also be used to measure total body composition and fat...
WHY SHOULD YOU DO A DEXA SCAN?
To confirm the suspicion of osteoporosis
WHO SHOLUD DOA A DEXA SCAN?
- All women over the age of 50 years
- All me over the age of 60years
- This is recommended for women who have had their menopause before the age of 50 years
- If they have a family history of low intensity fractures
- If they are current smokers
- If they have been on long term steroid therapy
- If they have rheumatoid Arthritis
- If they have Chronic lung, liver, kidney intestinal or hormone diseases
You lie on Your back on a couch and asked to keepstill while an X-Ray detector (the 'Scanner') comesover the area to be tested. The bones commonly sacnned are the bones of the back(the vertebrate), hip and wrist.
Open : 7.00 a.m. - 8.00 a.m. Daily